Training for Foreign Students

To obtain a Float Endorsement (Seaplane Rating) on your foreign pilot’s licence you are required to have either a “Foreign Licence Validation Certificate” or a Canadian Private Pilot Licence that is issued on the “Basis of your foreign Private Pilot Licence”, as issued from Transport Canada. Georgian Bay Airways can help you obtain the FLVC document to conduct your training with us. This does not allow you to work as a pilot in Canada.

Once you have completed training with GBA, will will provide you with copies of the documents you need to take to your Aviation Authority to have the Seaplane Rating added to your existing licence. We advise that you contact your Aviation Authority in advance to find out their regulations on Seaplane Ratings, as some countries do not issue/recognize a seaplane rating.

Recreational Flying in Canada: Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC)

A foreign pilot licence of a visitor whose residence is outside Canada may be validated for private recreational purposes. The foreign pilot licence must be valid under the law of the issuing state and valid for the privileges appropriate to the specific purpose.

An applicant may apply for a Foreign licence Validation Certificate (FLVC) before arriving in Canada. The FLVC will be issued for a period of one year at which time the applicant may choose to renew it, or apply for a permanent Canadian Pilot Licence.

The applicant may fax a copy of their pilot licence and their valid Medical Certificate to one of Transport Canada’s Regional offices. Completed applications and other documents can be emailed

There is a licensing fee of $45 Cdn. applicable that may be paid by a certified cheque, money order or credit card number, (the cheque should be made payable to (“The Receiver General for Canada”).

For more information on the FLVC, please visit this link on Transport Canada’s website.

Canadian Private Pilot Licence that is issued on the “Basis of your foreign Private Pilot Licence”

Obtaining a Canadian Licence requires a more in-depth process.

The following was provided to us by Transport Canada:

To obtain a Canadian Private Pilot Licence that is “Issued on the basis” applicants are required to obtain a Canadian medical certificate, are not required to complete a flight test or the main (PPAER) written examination if they hold a foreign PPL(A), have the 45 hours flight experience. The foreign pilot must provide proof of experience and have completed 5 take-offs and landings within 6 months of application. Pilots also have to complete a multiple choice written examination covering Air Law items, which can be administered by the Flight Training School. – Please note, Georgian Bay Airways does not administer this exam, this must be completed at a Flight Training Unit. Mohawk Flight Centre is at the Parry Sound Airport, and can help you with this.

Canadian Aviation Regulation (CARs) 421.26 paragraph (8) outlines the licensing requirements for issue of a PPL(A) Issued on the basis of a Foreign Licence:

To locate a Designated Canadian Aviation Medical Examiner please see the following Transport Canada website link:

PSTAR (Air Law) Sample Examination:

A link to an application form for a Canadian Private Pilot Licence:

You should also make application to the closest Transport Canada Regional office closest to your area where you will complete your Seaplane training. The following website will provide you with contact information on our Regional Offices:

For more information on Flight Crew Licensing please see the following website link:

Should further information be required please contact Transport Canada, General Aviation, Personnel Licensing at (613) 990-1056, Fax (613) 990-6215.

Related Links

For people wishing to visit or immigrate to Canada, contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada.